Friday 24 January 2020

Freescale-NXP Placement Process

0

NXP Semiconductors is a global semiconductor manufacturer headquartered in Eindhoven, Netherlands. The one-time semiconductor unit of Philips is one of the largest chip makers in the world. Analog and mixed-signal integrated circuits (ICs) from its huge product portfolio are used in everything from car radios and automotive networking systems to notebook computers and wireless base stations. The company also makes many types of general-purpose discrete semiconductors and logic devices. In addition to Philips, NXP's customers include Apple, Bosch, Delphi, Ericsson, Nokia, Panasonic, Samsung, and Sony.



Stage-1

Branches Allowed : ECE
Year :  2015-16
Job Profile : Design Engineer
CTC : 10.31 LPA
Location : Noida
CPI cut-off : 7 and above



Stage-2


Written Test: 

This was completely technical subjective test. The test consisted of 12 questions. Most of them were from Digital electronics with topics related to Set-up and Hold time (very important as this is Freescale’s favourite topic) , RC circuit waveform and timing diagrams, Few question were from Computer architecture from pipelining. to find Latency, and one design problem at the last. The questions were carrying 5 or 10 marks as per the difficulty level (Total marks: 100 in 75 min.) We had to explain all the answers in the best way. The questions were:-
1) Design a Sequence detector (hex “D”).
2) Connect square-wave generator circuit, a resistor and a capacitor as in a low pass filter circuit. Given input voltage waveform. Draw the output voltage and current waveform.
3) Draw a +ve edge detector circuit.
4) Setup and hold time prob.
5) STA (static timing analysis) prob.
6) Draw XNOR gate using CMOS.
7) 5 NMOS transistors connected in series (PTL). Find the output voltage at each point.
8) BJT circuit, a bit complicated circuit(part of it was a mirror circuit) . Find current in one of the branches.
9) Give a circuit consisting of diode and phase shifter. Find the output waveform ,given the input waveform.
10) Pipelining ques.
11) Latency related problem.
12) Design a controller system for the given scenario

After the written test, 16 students were shortlisted for the Interviews.



Stage-3


Technical Interview Round

The interview started with my introduction. The interviewer asked when does my day start, generally. What do I do then? He then asked how was my paper? (They were very disappointed with our test scores as cutoff was very low than other colleges. But they were impressed after the interviews.) I told that it was not good as I did many silly mistakes. I and my friends had already discussed the paper thoroughly and I had analysed it myself since they do always ask from the question paper and try to analyse your approach and know that if we can do it in some other way. He then started asking questions from the test paper. 
He asked me some question as:-
1. To make an Edge triggered circuit that can detect both positive and negative edges.
2. There was one pattern detector question. I had done it with Mealy- moore approach. But he asked me to solve it in a simpler way. I solved it using simple shift register approach. He then told why we make things complicated if it can be done simply.
3. He asked some Verilog questions. He asked me to design a D-FF module. If the same clock pulse which is driving the FF, is given to the input, what will be the output if initially the FF is set at 0 state?(o/p will be zero all the time)
4. Advantages and disadvantages of Synchronous circuits. Set-up and Hold time explanation (STA analysis) for a synchronous circuit. Your concepts should be very clear regarding these topics.
5. Delays in asynchronous and Synchronous circuits.
6. What is totem pole?

He then asked me questions about my family and some HR questions. My interview lasted for 40-45 minutes. At the end, I asked him a question about my role as a design engineer. The interviewer was friendly and was observing my eagerness to join the company. Be confident and be clear in your concepts.
(For few students there were two technical interviews).



Stage-4


HR Interview Round (15 min)

He asked me about my interests apart studies in extra-curricular activities. He asked few questions to know whether I am open-minded and can adapt in any situation or not. I am the 3rd ranker of my dept. He asked me whether I am always studying. I told that I love dancing and drawing. He asked why you are not interested for further studies or government jobs……Finally the interview lasted with the statement “Start thinking songs for performing during festival celebrations in Freescale :D ” .

                                                                                                                SHIVANGI GUPTA
                                                                                                         ECE BATCH OF 2016



Author Image

About VIKAS JANGID

No comments:

Post a Comment